There is a shift in the way we do enterprise, communicate and get our facts these days. Do you assume greater education desires a makeover for the 21st century to hold up with the shift? The old schools of teaching may perhaps not be applicable for several of our young generation now and in the close to future.
Yesterday, I had a conversation with a mother whose daughter graduated with a liberal arts degree from a prestigious private college. She mentioned the only point she can show is a paper degree. Her daughter does not possess capabilities that are relevant in the marketplace. Not to mention, the quantity of dollars she spent to get that paper. How can we make her marketable in today's economy?
According to Professor David Wiley of Brigham Young University, “if universities can not locate the will to innovate and adapt to alterations in the globe about them, universities will be irrelevant by 2020”.
If you kind in Google search engine, “What is social media?” There are a quantity of definitions. This is a single of them: social media are operates of user-made video, audio, text or multimedia that are published and shared in a social atmosphere, such as a weblog, wiki or video hosting internet site. Social media applications include things like Google, Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
Why do we will need to spend consideration to social media for greater education?
1. More than 50% of the world's population is beneath 30 years old. 96% millenials have joined social network. We never have a option on whether or not we do social media the query is how effectively we do it. The U.S. Division of Education identified out that on the net students outperformed these getting face-to face instruction. 80% of corporations use social media for recruitment. (Quotes taken from Social Media Revolution two, YouTube video)
2. The current occasion in Egypt is an eye opener to all of us.CBS reported on February 16th 2011, that Wael Ghonim, a 30-year-old Google marketing and advertising manager in Egypt, has been credited with launching the Facebook web page that sparked Egypt's uprising and ousted President Mubarak.
3. The millenials (also identified as Generation Y) are currently at their computer systems, Facebook and clever phones daily. So, why not use all these tools properly for greater education to reduce price, save time and enhance efficiency? Most households these days can not hold up with the higher price of education and most education technique are currently outdated. Most institutions are nevertheless working with the industrial age ideology and philosophy for education.
4. Across the globe six.1 trillion text messages are sent per year. In 2007, there have been only 1.eight trillion. Added to that nation like Nigeria with a population of 152,217,341 has 80,944,643 cell phones. More than half of its population owns cell phones. Can you visualize receiving eBooks and pdfs into the hands of all these cell telephone holders for education purposes? (Information from Afar magazine, March/April edition).
5. President Obama flew to San Francisco this week to meet with Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook, Eric Schmidt of Google and Steve Jobs of Apple. He ought to have recognized the significance of social media for the future of America.
Anya Kamenetz has strategically named her book DIY U. She quoted DIY U is an evolution from highly-priced institutions to expansive networks… with individual mastering network on Google Reader, Facebook, Twitter, blogs, web sites and e mail. She mentioned, mastering networks in preceding decades have been insular groups formed about academic journals, discovered societies and expert conferences. Nowadays, they are working with blogs, wikis, and presentation tools like Slide share, YouTube videos and e mail lists to collaborate, pursue and present know-how in any discipline.
Ms. Kamenetz gave a genuinely very good instance in her book which I assume will be a single of the most effective strategies to get educated. She referred to as it the options to greater education's cartel.
Julia Fierro graduated from the prestigious Iowa Writer's Workshop in 2000 and got a job at Hofstra University teaching honors inventive writing class. Lost her job a single day and decided to place an ad on Craigslist providing writer's workshop for $175 per individual for eight weeks. Because 2002, she had more than 850 students. Alumni of her plan have identified agents, published novels, nonfiction books, brief story collections, won awards and competitions. Her eighth week course price a tenth of Masters in Fine Arts plan at a university. She practically has no overhead, only a handful of hundred dollars on internet hosting and on the net advertisements. (Taken from DIY U by Anya Kamenetz)
In my personal knowledge, right after staying household for several years, my capabilities are no longer competitive. I have to retrain myself. Numerous of my peers have gone back to classic schools to get yet another degree or a diploma hoping to get a job. Will they locate a job?
I took a unique route. I am discovering the significance of social media and the world wide web. Functioning with a mentor working with a telephone and the world wide web, mastering step by step on how to commence a enterprise on the net. What options do you have in educating oneself and your kids to be relevant for the shift in our economy? Do you nevertheless doubt social media as a way to educate oneself and your kids?
Young children are all exceptional. Some will excel in option route and other folks will thrive in the classic route for education. It all depends on which profession they will be pursuing.